MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS WHO WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN INTERSCHOLASTIC SPORTS
*****As of July 1, 2018, New York State will require that all physical examinations - for yearly sports physicals AND yearly physicals- be on the same state approved form. No other forms are to be accepted. They are allowing us a period of time to work this in. For the Fall Sports season (September), we will accept the blue forms. For the Winter and Spring season, we will move toward the new form only. The "yellow card will not longer be required but we will use the back of the "blue" form for the parent questionaire, which will now be white. This will be in Spanish on the flip side. Again, the yellow will be acceptable for the fall season.
All of the necessary forms are available in the school nurse's office and on the district website under Health Services (Health Forms & Documents). Please follow the instructions below to understand the process:
- ALL STUDENTS SHOULD FIRST SEE THE SCHOOL NURSE SO IT CAN BE DETERMINED WHAT THEY NEED. Students may still have the examination by either their own physican or the school doctor.
1) Private Physician Sports Physical Examination. The "BLUE" form will still be acceptable throughout the Fall sports season. It is 2 sided. The physician completes and signs one side, the parent/guardian completes the other. If you choose to use the new NYSED required physical examination form, that will be accepable as well. Leave no blanks.
***Final medical clearance is granted by the School Medical Director
2) Physical Exam by the School Physician. These exams are held for each sports season on a limited basis. Students must sign up for these exams in the Nurse's office. Announcements are made daily.
***Both of these exams are valid for 12 months. Even if it expires during the actual sport season, the student is cleared to play until the sport season finishes.
- If more than 30 days has passed since the doctor's exam, the parent must complete a Medical Update questionaire-either on the "blue form", (or on the yellow card for the Fall season). This Update allows the nurse to check for any significant health issues that may have occured since the physical examination. It is also required by NYSED law.
- The interview dates for each sport will be posted on the website-Health and Athletics- and on the door of the Nurse's office. There will also be notices around the school. The update information must be completed and brought to interview - signed and dated by the parent/ guardian.
- If the student needs medication such as an epinephrine pen for allergies or an asthma inhaler, it should appear as a complete order from the doctor on either the exam form or an Administration of Medication form and co- signed by the parent.
- Notify the nurse if anything has happened that may affect your child's health during the sports season-fractures, serious injury etc. A clearance note from the private physician may be necessary in some circumstances.
A white card will be given to the coach after completion of all the above. The student will then be cleared to play.
***Fall sports start in August at the High School level. If the exam is done before school ends or during the summer, get it in to the nurse's office (or the Medical Services office in the summer) and get a jump on the season.***
Please feel free to contact your school nurse or the Medical Services office if you have further questions.