Medical Requirementss for Interscholastic Sports Partipation
MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS WHO WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN INTERSCHOLASTIC SPORTS
*****As of July 1, 2019, New York State requires that all physical examinations - for yearly sports physicals AND yearly physicals- be on the same state approved form. No other forms will be accepted.
STARTING AUGUST 2019, ALL STUDENTS MUST REGISTER ON FAMILY ID IF THEY WISH TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY INTERSCHOLASTIC SPORT AT HIGHLANDS, ROCHAMBEAU, OR WPHS. ALL STUDENTS ARE APPROVED TO PLAY BY THE NURSE ON THE FAMILYID PROGRAM. THIS APPROVAL GOES DIRECTLY TO THE COACH OF THE CHOSEN TEAM AND THE STUDENT IS CLEARED TO PLAY.
FamilyID is an online program designed to make it easier for sports signup. No more interviews or cards. Everything is done online. If you cannot scan and download the physical form(s) onto the program, send it or hand it in to the school nurse. All other information must be done online. This is the only way to register for sports participation going foreward.
FamilyID may be accessed by clicking on the button at the top right hand of the website landing page. Follow the instructions and you will be able to complete the process online. NOTE: The programs don't open until 30 days prior to the start date of the sport. You will be unable to do anything until that time. If you choose the INTENT TO PLAY option, you must still go back and complete the registration 30 days before the start date. High School sports start in August. Middle School sports generally start the first or second day students attend in September.
There are still 2 options for physical examination prior to sports approval:
1) Private Physician Sports Physical Examination. The New York State Education form is available online, on FamilyID and in the Nurse's offices. Your child's doctors office will also have the forms as they are included in the New York State ruling.
***Final medical clearance is granted by the School Medical Director as per New York State Education Law
2) Physical Exam by the School Physician. These exams are held for each sports season on a limited basis. Students must sign up for these exams in the Nurse's office. Announcements are made daily.
Both of these exams are valid for 12 months. Even if it expires during the actual sport season, the student is cleared to play until the season finishes.
- FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES: Please click on the FamilyID link at the top of the page and follow the instructions. Again we are instituting the FAMILY ID program which will be done online and there is no interview required. If you have any difficulty, call the Support line and they will assist you with any problems.
- If the student needs medication such as an epinephrine pen for allergies or an asthma inhaler, it should appear as a complete order from the doctor on either the exam form or an Administration of Medication form and co- signed by the parent.
- **** It is important to notify the nurse if anything has happened that may affect your child's health during the sports season-fractures, serious injury etc. A clearance note from the private physician may be necessary in some circumstances.****
Once you complete all of the requirements, you will be notified by email that the process is completed and your child is approved to play.
NOTE: IF YOUR CHILD DOES NOT MAKE THE TEAM THEY ORIGINALLY SELECTED, OR DECIDES TO CHANGE THE SPORT THEY WISH TO PLAY, YOU MUST GO BACK ON FAMILYID AND CHANGE IT IN THE PROGRAM SO THE COACH IS NOTIFIED. If YOU DON'T MAKE THE CHANGE, YOUR CHILD WON'T BE REGISTERED ON THAT TEAM.
Please feel free to contact your school nurse or the Medical Services office if you have further questions.