• Shinto shrines are usually located near
mountains or lakes.
• The Jordan River is a site of many Christian
Which conclusion is most valid based on these
statements related to belief systems?
(1) The Middle East was the birthplace of these
(2) Water plays an important role in these belief
(3) Pilgrimages to mountainous regions are
encouraged by these belief systems.
(4) Understanding nature is a requirement of
these belief systems.
(1) use the Torah to establish law codes
(2) stress the importance of the Eightfold Path
(3) believe that spirits exist in nature
(4) base social rank on a caste system
(1) refraining from eating meat on Fridays
(2) praying five times a day
(3) following the Eightfold Path
(4) worshipping many gods
(1) praying in a synagogue
(2) accepting the Eightfold Path
(3) worshipping many gods
(4) reading the Koran
(1) toleration for various religious beliefs
(2) equality between men and women
(3) a lack of social mobility
(4) the right of people to choose their occupations
(4) filial piety
Collier & Son, 1910
Which belief system is described in this passage?
(1) practice filial piety
(2) worship spirits in nature
(3) are monotheistic
(4) are required to make pilgrimages
(3) geographic location
(4) individual achievement
(1) promote polytheism
(2) establish gender equality
(3) provide codes of behavior
(4) describe secularism
2. Praise be to Allah, The Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds;
3. Most Gracious, Most Merciful;
4. Master of the Day of Judgement.
5. Thee do we worship, And Thine aid we seek.
6. Show us the straight way,
7. The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, Those whose (portion)Is not wrath, And who go not astray.
— ‘Abdullah Yusuf ‘Ali, ed.,
The Meaning of The Holy Qur’an,
Amana Publications, 1999
Which concept is best reflected in this passage?
(1) People are born into a specific caste.
(2) Believers must follow the Ten Commandments.
(3) Followers must fast during Ramadan.
(4) People can overcome their desires by
following the Eight-Fold Path.
• Maintaining family honor
• Honoring all elders
Which term is most closely related to these three
(3) filial piety
(4) hadj (hajj)
(1) Everyone should have the same social status.
(2) People should pray five times a day.
(3) The soul can be reincarnated.
(4) Material wealth is a sign of the blessing of the
—Lawrence Houghteling, “Al-Andalus: Islamic
Spain,” Calliope, Nov.–Dec. 1995
What is the main idea of this passage?
(1) The Torah and the Bible were rejected in
(2) Arabs, Jews, and Christians shared houses
and places of worship in Muslim Spain.
(3) Religious tolerance in Muslim Spain
encouraged the growth of a rich and diverse
(4) Spain was troubled by deep-rooted religious
"Master of the Day of Judgment."
"Thee do we worship, And Thine aid we seek.”
Source: ’Abdullah Yusuf-Ali, trans.,
The Meaning of the Holy Qur’an,
This translated quotation from the Qur’an
[Koran] refers to
(1) believe in reincarnation
(2) strive for nirvana
(3) follow a code of behavior
(4) practice polytheism
(1) doing good deeds
(2) eliminating selfish desires
(3) making pilgrimages to Mecca
(4) relying on divine help
(1) papal supremacy
(2) teachings of the Koran (Quran)
(3) reincarnation and the Four Noble Truths
(4) an ethical code of conduct and monotheism
(1) “If a ruler is upright, all will go well without
(2) “By nature, men are pretty much alike. It is
learning and practice that set them apart.”
(3) “While a father or mother is alive, a son should
not travel far.”
(4) “Do not do to others what you do not wish for
• Islam extends from the Middle East into Spain
by A.D. 732.
• Catholic and Protestant missionaries bring
Christianity to Africa in the 1800s.
Each of these statements reflects the concept of
(1) cultural diffusion
(3) civil disobedience