Skip To Main Content

Student Records

Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, parents or guardians of a student under 18 may inspect their children's school records, including material that is incorporated into each student's cumulative record folder. The law grants a similar right to students 18 or older to inspect their own records. Applications to review records must be made in writing to the building principal.

The law also enables parents to seek amendment of student education records that they believe to be inaccurate or misleading. If the district decides not to amend the record as requested, the parent or adult student will be notified of the decision and advised of the hearing procedure to challenge the contents of a child's school records. 

The Act assures the confidentiality of records with respect to "third parties" and provides parents with the right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information ("directory information") contained in the student's education records. Exceptions to this include school employees, officials and certain State and Federal officials who have a legitimate educational need to access such records. In addition, the district will, upon request of parents, or adult students, or if otherwise required by law, disclose student records to officials of another school district in which a student seeks to enroll.

The release of directory information applies equally to military recruiters, the media, colleges and universities, and prospective employers, among others. It includes, but is not limited to, student names, parents" names, addresses, participation in school activities or sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, and degrees and awards received.

Parents of High School students will receive a separate letter regarding the release of information to military recruiters. Parents, guardians and eligible students may choose not to allow the district to release directory information by informing the Superintendent's Office in writing (5 Homeside Lane, White Plains, New York, 10605), by October 1st of each school year.

Most district records (other than student records) are available for inspection and copying, in accordance with the Freedom of Information Laws. Access to Records forms are available from the District Clerk who can be reached by telephone at (914) 422-2071 or by email at Copies are 25 cents per page.

To request a transcript for a college or university, please use the following link to enter your request via Parchment.  Parchment is now used by all colleges and universities as their secure delivery method:

If you are requesting documents for immigration or DACA , immunizations or a official graduation letter you can use this link to access our request form:

Upon completion of this form, please email to:   

Please note:  If you are in need of a copy of your diploma, unfortunately we cannot provide that.  We can, however, provide an official graduation verification letter. 

BOE Policy 5500 Student Records