The district’s School Health Services program supports your student’s academic success by promoting health in the school setting. One way that we provide care for your student is by performing the health screenings as mandated by the State of New York.
During this school year, the following screenings will be completed at school if not done by the student’s private doctor:
- Distance Acuity and Near Vision for all newly entering students and those in Kindergarten, Grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11.
- Color perception screening for all newly entering students.
- Hearing screening for all newly entering students and students in Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11.
- Scoliosis (spinal curvature) screening for girls in Grades 5 – 9 and Boys in Grade 11.
The following should be done by the student’s private doctor and dentist:
- A physical examination including Body Mass Index and Weight Status Category Information is required for all newly entering students and those in Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11.
- A dental certificate is requested for all newly entering students and those in Kindergarten, Grades 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11.
If a physical examination is not presented to the school nurse, an examination will be done by the school physician during the school day. This should not take the place of the child’s regular doctor.
A notification will be sent home if there are any findings on the screening done at school that would cause concern or need medical follow-up. Please call the school’s Health Office if you have any questions or concerns.