The WP Middle School Physical Education Program provides students the opportunity to acquire both skills and knowledge in areas of sports, fitness and lifetime activities. One of our most important goals is for our students to become lifelong active adults. The curriculum is designed to expose the children to a variety of activities and provide them with the skills and knowledge to pursue a “fit” lifestyle outside of school. The White Plains Middle School Physical Education curriculum is designed to meet the New York State Standards.
GRADING POLICY: Students begin each quarter with 100 points. A maximum of 5 points will be deducted if the student does not fulfill their daily classroom requirements/expectations. If a student is unprepared for class he/she will receive the daily maximum deduction of 5 points.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION CLASS EXPECTATIONS / GRADING RUBRIC
ü ON TIME
ü CHECKS IN WITH PE TEACHER FOR ATTENDANCE.
ü READS DAILY OBJECTIVE.
ü BRINGS APPROPRIATE FOR PE ATTIRE.
ü CHANGES INTO T SHIRT, ATHLETIC SHORTS, ATHLETIC PANTS, SWEATSHIRT AND SNEAKERS.
ü DEMONSTRATES APPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR IN THE LOCKER ROOM.
ü FOLLOWS PE LOCKER ROOM CONTRACT.
ü FOLLOWS ACTIVE WARM UP/DO NOW.
ü FOLLOWS CLASS RULES.
ü FOLLOWS ACTIVITY DIRECTIONS.
ü COMPLETES DO NOW/ACTIVE WARM UP.
ü FOLLOWS ACTIVITY RULES.
ü COMPLETES DAILY OBJECTIVE CONSISTANTLY.
ü COMPLETES SKILLS FOLLOWING SKILL RUBRIC.
ü ENGAGES IN ACTIVITIES SAFELY.
ü KEEPS HANDS AND FEET TO THEMSELVES.
ü KEEPS GOOD SPACE BETWEEN THEMSELVES AND OTHERS.
ü USES EQUIPMENT THE WAY IT IS MEANT TO BE USED.
ü RESPECTS OTHER PEOPLE AND THEIR BELONGINGS.
ü IS A GOOD LISTENER WHEN SOMEONE ELSE IS SPEAKING.
ü LOOKS IN THE DIRECTION OF THE SPEAKER.
EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENTS
It is expected that all middle school students will conduct themselves in a mature and responsible manner. Students are expected to actively participate in their learning while demonstrating a respect for self, for others, for the equipment and facilities.
Locks and lockers
- Each student will be assigned a lock and locker for Physical Education.
- Combinations should not be shared with other students.
- Missing or lost locks should be reported to the Physical Education teacher. A new lock will be issued for a $10.00 replacement fee.
- Students must use school issued locks; locks from home are not permitted.
- Students are expected to abide by the locker contract. Any infractions of the contract will result in disciplinary action.
- All belongings must be locked in the student’s assigned locker. Only clothing for PE class should be brought into the locker room and securely stored.
- A note from the student’s parent/guardian is required if the student is to be excused from participation due to illness or injury. Illness or injury resulting in the student being excused for 2 or more days requires a doctor’s note.
- If a doctor’s note is issued for a student to be excused from class, a doctor’s note must then also be issued in order for a student to resume physical education.
The Physical Education Staff looks forward to having a fun and exciting school year. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact a member of our staff at Highlands .
Coach Sue Adams Coach Steve Fugarino
Coach Mark Armogida Coach Jackie Sette