Grading is based on class participation, tests, authentic assessments,
homework and projects. Participation is exhibited by the
student’s quality of interest, understanding of rules, sportsmanship and
effort, cooperation with fellow students and teachers, and rate of individual
improvement. Formative and summative
assessments will be done during the quarter.
In order to earn physical education credit, students must be present,
prepared and actively participating in the learning activities each day. Preparation includes but is not
limited to; attendance, being punctual, and being appropriately dressed.
Earning a grade:
FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT—80%· Daily progress toward the learning objective· Personal and social responsibility° Physical Education is a unique discipline in that it is primarily performance-based.° Students have the opportunity to earn credit (points) toward their quarterly grade each class period.
This credit is earned through a student’s active participation in the learning process, self-direction, and
progress toward the objective for the day.° To have the opportunity to earn credit, students must be present, prepared, and actively participating in the learning activities each day.
· Application of learning to real-life situation
° Application of skills° Application of strategies° Rules and conventions
° Personal and social responsibility
· Written exams/assessments· Homework· Projects
· Absences and unprepareds result in a student being unable to participate in class activities and meet the daily objectives for the lesson;therefore, a student’s grade is severely impacted. However, students have many opportunities to make up all missed classes, resulting in the grade being restored.
· The missed classes and subsequent make-ups will be reflected in the 80 % formative assessment portion of a student’s grade. If you check the parent portalregularly, it will not be uncommon to see your child’s grade fluctuate. Grades will be updated every 10 school days and it will be at this time that you can see if your child has lost points due to not meeting the daily objective(s) or made up his/her class(es) and earned their points back.
· A failing grade will be given to any student that has five or more missed classes, (any combination of absences and/or unprepareds) and no make-ups recorded.
· If you have any questions regarding your child’s grade, please contact his/her teacher immediately.